A Dental assistant is the multi skilled member of the dental team. In Australia, a dental assistant is also known as Dental Nurse. A dental assistant is the one who assists the oral healthcare professionals such as Dentists, Oral Health Specialists, Dental Specialists and Dental Hygienists.
Dental assistant is the first point of contact for patients. A good interaction can create the right environment for the patient visiting the clinic for treatment. You can visit http://www.aada.edu.au/ to know about how dental assistants are trained.
Dental assistant performs various tasks:
- Administrative tasks
- Schedule and fix appointments
- Managing phone and email queries
- Welcoming patients and helping patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatment
- Asking basic questions from patients regarding their medical history
- Processing payments
- Clinical management and chairside assisting
- Set up and operate highly technical equipment
- Processing dental radiographs (X- rays)
- Sterilization of tools to be used
- Assisting the dentist during a treatment
If you love to help and care people, the dental assisting holds great opportunity for you. A great smile gives a boost to your confidence level. Dental health care is not only a profession but it also enhances your personality as well.
If you are interested in having a career in dental assisting, you need a few set of skills:
- Good communication skills
- Able to work in team
- Responsibility and patience are key strengths
Opportunities for dental assistants
After high school, becoming a dental assistant is a good option. Dental assistants can work with private clinics as a full time, part time or permanent dental assistant. Since many dentists need two or three dental assistants, there are a lot of career opportunities in this profession.
Public health clinic, hospitals also hold good opportunity for dental assistants. A dental assistant can work with insurance companies as well. You can visit here to get more information on the profession of dental assistants.